It’s easier than ever to be a Big: Online!
Did you know that a 9th grader in the Boston Public Schools has only a 12% chance of one day graduating from college? Mentor2.0 is the solution.
What is mentor2.0?
Mentor2.0 is a technology-enhanced one-to-one mentoring program that provides transformative 1-1 support for low-income and first-generation high school students to prepare them for high school success, college matriculation and workforce readiness. This program makes it easier than ever to become a Big through weekly online communication and monthly in-person meetings. We work with Boston Green Academy in Brighton and the Edward Kennedy Academy of Health Careers in the Fenway, both accessible by car and the Green Line.
How it works:
- Students will attend a weekly college success class taught by a BBBSMB Program Coordinator embedded in the school.
- Students and their mentors will communicate once a week around guided questions related to the college success curriculum using a proprietary web-based platform.
- Pairs will also meet in-person once a month at the school for a 2-hour group session & one-on-one time. Meetings will take place on a weeknight after work.
- Over 10,000 students are participating in this program across the country including through 13 Big Brothers Big Sisters affiliates.
- 97% of mentor2.0 students completed college applications; 88% expect to earn a college degree;
- 93% say their mentor is someone they trust and depend on.
- Students are more likely than their peers who are not in the program to enroll in college (75% vs. 50%) and once in college are more likely to persist into their sophomore year (83% vs. 50%).
- Be a Big! We are now recruiting mentors for the class of 9th graders this fall. You can be that personal champion to help a student on their journey to college. Learn more and complete the application here.
- Help us recruit volunteers at your company or a group you are a part of. We’d like to conduct a 30-minute information session at your office or with a group you are part of. Please contact Chris Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a date.
- Invite your employees/associates/friends to learn more about the program. Share this page!